If you would like to volunteer to help on River Hook Preserve, go to our website, click E-Alert in the left column, then check "River Hook - The Hester Haring Cason Preserve" under "News or Announcement" and enter your email address. We will send you updates with volunteer opportunties.
The Village has been active on the Preserve in 2020.
- Attractive gates were added at the Broadway and Midland entrances with garbage cans and dog waste stations.
- Signage and a signboard was installed on N. Broadway.
- A tree service was brought in and 5 dumpsters of fallen logs and branches were removed.
- The meadow on N. Broadway was mowed.
- An environmentally friendly native meadow restoration was started on the slope to the east of the main house (you may have seen the black tarps, which are the first phase of the project).
- Deer fencing was purchased to enclose a garden area where tree and shrub seedlings could be nurtured.
- A complete survey of the property was ordered for planning purposes.
As the Village was preparing to engage the community in extensive volunteer activities, coronavirus hit, with its ban on gatherings of more than two people. Now that the reopening has begun, the Village will be soon be offering community activities on the Preserve.